Blog-tember // Day 12: THREE books

Took the weekend off from blogging and now I am back on the Blog-tember Challenge for today's literary prompt:

Three books! One you just read, one you're currently reading, and one you want to read.

Just three?! Riiiight. I had to cheat on this one. I am an avid reader and enjoy historical fiction, memoirs, better living, psychology, and YA fiction. Follow me on Goodreads and visit at the end of each month for my monthly book reviews. Alrighty, here we go:


Books I just read:

Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk ★★★★ 
Annabelle is an 11-year-old  who lives in a quiet Pennsylvania town during WWII. Her family farm is situated near a wooded area called Wolf Hollow and she has to pass it daily to get to school. A new girl moves to their school and she begins to bully Annabelle. After one incident, a WWI veteran who is living as a recluse in a shack nearby, defends Annabelle and things take a turn for the worst in a domino effect of events that force Annabelle to make difficult decisions and decide whether she will stand for what is right.

This is a YA/juvenile book by genre, but don't let that fool you into thinking it's an easy, breezy read. It dives into serious themes like racism and prejudice. It has more twists and turns than I anticipated and the writing was superb! It was reminiscent of a classic (and soon to be re-read) To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee because of the themes explored as well as the exquisite writing and the fact that it's told from a child's perspective during a rough time in history. It is a gem! 


The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom (audiobook) ★★★★ 
One of my favorite books of all time, this is a re-re-read that we chose for our ladies book club's first book to discuss. Listening to it via audiobook on Overdrive this time around. Corrie experienced unimaginable brutality while in concentration camps during WWII because she, as a Christian Dutch woman who was in her 50s at the time, chose to hide Jews from the Nazis. Her story is inspiring and has stuck with me for years and years.
Reminds me of: Evidence Not Seen by Darline Rose Diebler


Books I am currently reading:

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick (audiobook)
A delightful tale about a recently widowed elderly man whose neatly-scheduled life is turned upside down when he finds a charm bracelet that belonged to his wife. What ensues is a wildly entertaining odyssey to learn things about his wife.
Status: 3/4 finished
Reminds me of: A Man Called Ove by Frekrik Backman 


You Learn By Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life by Eleanor Roosevelt
I have had a soft spot for the former First Lady ever since I was in 7th grade and chose to do a huge project on her. She seemed like a great balance of humility with a punch of courage and desire to help those in need. This book reads so easily and is packed with great advice  from a great woman. 
Status: 3/4 finished
Reminds me of: Let Me Be A Woman by Elisabeth Elliot



Book I want to read:

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
I have had it on my mental To-Be-ReRead list for the past few months and found the perfect occasion this month since it falls under the Banned Books theme of this month's #Collaboreads linkup


_____________________________________________________


What books have you recently read, currently reading, and want to read next?


Comments