ALL OF NATURE DECLARES // lesson of the scotch-broom revisited


A few years ago, I was doing clinicals in a rural town for my pediatric nurse practitioner program. I was chatting with a medical student and an MD when one remarked on the pretty yellow flowers outside in a nearby field. We didn't know the name of the flower but noticed how heavy the field was scattered with these bright, cheery flowers. After googling "pretty yellow flower" in our unsuccessful attempt to find the name of the flower,  a nurse [who lived in this town] walked in and we asked her. "Oh, that's scotch broom ... The most noxious plant there is. Very annoying and spreads like crazy." Wait a second, how could something that seemed so pretty, be "noxious" and "annoying"? I dutifully returned to my faithful google page and typed it in. The first website I found echoed the nurse's word by labeling it a "noxious plant". Apparently, this foreign, pioneering plant from England invaded the Northwest and has reeked havoc by crowding out native plants and destroying wildlife habitat, not to mention costing thousands upon thousands of dollars in losses for loggers. 

Now, bear with me. I'm not going to ask you to sign a petition or wear a Save-The-Wildlife shirt. I promise. I won't tell you to go hug a tree, either, though you may find you like it if you tried. Instead, I want to draw a metaphor from this invasive weed that we can apply to our daily lives. 

As I drove my usual 1.5 hour drive back to my apartment, I kept a look-out for scotch broom on the fields parallel to the freeway. I didn't have to look hard; scotch broom was rampant the whole eighty miles home. I never paid too much attention to the plants along the freeway other than thinking they were pretty. Little did I know, this seemingly innocent and cheery flower was boldly and aggressively choking the life out of native plants and flowers. Its roots crowded out anything good that wanted to sprout nearby.


It got me thinking: What is the "scotch-broom" living in my own heart? What have I allowed to invade as a "foreigner" and pioneer itself directly into my heart and mind? And then it hit me

   Bitterness. 
      Unforgiveness. 
         Self-pity. 
            Unthankfulness. 
                Greed. 

                      Worry

The list goes on and on. All of these act like invasive weeds, pushing out what is good, and replacing it with a counterfeit and costly alternative. Truth be told, these "weeds" all look good on the outside, just as the three of us originally thought the scotch broom looked so bright and sweet. Face it: sin looks good. It has to, or else who would be drawn to it? Bitterness? It feels good to not want to get over someone's wrongdoing against you. You have the right to hold a grudge, right? And self-pity? I would be lying if I denied that it feels great to feel like the victim. Poor me. Unthankfulness? Well, no one thanked me, so why should I thank them? And then we have greed. Now, don't even try to tell me it's bad to want stuff ... and by 'stuff' I mean everything. Right?!

I am not posting this to point any fingers, because truthfully, the pointed finger should be directed at me first. When I am not consistently asking the Holy Spirit to make me aware of the weeds growing roots in my heart, these unwelcomed weeds enter in, take residence, and proliferate. Just as enviornmentalists can't put gates around scotch broom to keep it from spreading, these spiritual weeds begin sprouting in our whole being. They plant themselves in our heart and end up taking hold of every part of us. Our actions. Our speech. Our service to others. Our relationships. The way we view God, ourselves, and others. All affected by these weeds that suffocate anything good and pure in us. 

Countless scripture cite the heart as the starting place for all sorts of sin [Matt. 5:19, Mark 7:21, Luke 6:45]. That's why we are instructed above all else, to "guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life" [Proverbs 4:23]. If we allow bitterness, lies, self-pity, and other ruthless weeds to enter our hearts, we are inviting a pollutant to our "wellspring" of life. Physically, our heart is actually a "wellspring". It is the organ at the center of our body and all veins lead to it, while all arteries flow away from it. No part of the body is left untouched by the effects of this "wellspring". If it does, you get necrosis -- death to a body tissue. Basically, science is reaffirming what the Bible has already stated before anatomy and physiology courses existed: The heart is pivotal to the workings of the whole body. If you have problems with your heart, you end up having problems with every other body system because life flows from the heart.


Why do we allow such filth to enter our hearts? Why do we allow thoughts of bitterness that lead to a spirit of unforgiveness for others, yet invite super-forgiveness and excuses for our self-pitied selves? Why do we allow weeds to grow in the wellspring that is meant to bring life to us and those around us? A wellspring that is meant to bring glory to the Creator is made muddy and polluted with weeds. How can this heart be a reflection of the Creator?

I believe that the main culprit here is the weed of Bitterness. All of the rest of the aforementioned "weeds" are results of bitterness. Start with someone wronging you and you become bitter. Let yourself brew over how wronged you were, and you've stepped into the wasteland of self-pity. Sit there for awhile and you'll see mile marker Unforgiveness nearby. Walk around a bit and you'll encounter the need for greed. They all go hand-in-hand, eager to take your hand and lead you to a endless circle of misery. 

But there is a way out because there is One who is the Way. He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. The "wellspring of life" I mentioned? It originated because of His spoken word. When we give all of our hurt and pain to Him, He is more than faithful to heal our broken, marred hearts. The same God that is a Potter molding cracked vessels and creating us anew, is like a Gardener who uproots all the weeds that have taken over our hearts and minds. Isn't it a bit ironic that after Jesus' body was missing from the tomb, Mary confused the resurrected Jesus with a gardener who took Jesus' body away? In reality, Jesus is like a gardener. When we allow Him to remove the noxious, foreign weeds and replace them with His love, His forgiveness, His grace, we have a garden of Eden in our hearts, hand-crafted by the Creator! Because, really, who else can you trust to make your heart a garden other than the original Gardener of the actual Garden of Eden? 

The Bible instructs us how to start removing all these harmful weeds:

  • Don't even go there:  Ask God to set a guard over the doorway of your heart, that the mere thought of bitterness may not even lay a foot in your heart. A huge "Do Not Enter" sign needs to be posted. Just as Proverbs 4:23 instructed, guard your heart!
  • Keep on the right path: "Be wise and keep your heart on the right path" [Prov. 23:19]. Read the Bible to know the right path. Ask a trustworthy friend to be an accountability partner and ask how you're doing with that area, talk to an older woman or someone you trust and discuss any areas that you're struggling with. Study and meditate on what is pleasing to the Lord: Whatever is true, noble, right, worthy or praise, admirable, lovely [Phil.4:8].
  • Watch yo' self: "Be careful and watch yourselves closely so you do not forget..." [Deut. 4:9]. Daily ask God for the discerning Holy Spirit to convict you when you're allowing bitterness, self-pity, and other weeds to start sprouting again. Ask God to show you what areas you need to work on. Ask Him for forgiveness and the strength to live differently... and then live life as a forgiven child of the Father God!
I would be foolish to say that I have mastered this. I am learning and growing daily. I pray that any weeds in my heart will be uprooted and removed so that I can be a "tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season, and whose leaf does not wither" [Psalms 1:3]. I desire for the fruits of the Holy Spirit to bear fruit in my heart, not the weeds that threaten to choke these fruit. 



{This post was updated from an older post from Beautiful Hope from 2011}

Comments

  1. Great analogy with the scotch broom and the Christian life Elle! Lies, at first, can give off a nice outside look to us (usually because they're feeding some insecurity or the like), but really they're poison.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts!

Elle Alice