lessons of the blackberry: guest post sneak peak


"Nature is God's greatest evangelist"
{Jonathon Edwards, 1703-1758}

I am often amazed at how nature teaches me many lessons of God's faithfulness and love. The Bible is also full of nature-related analogies such as the parable of the sower's seeds.

Several years ago, while taking a relaxing walk down a rural walking path, I came across some delicious blackberries. I filled my palms full of the delectable fruit and the Holy Spirit put a few lessons on my heart concerning the blackberries. 

Here is a snippet of what I endearingly call the Lessons of the Blackberry. The full post will be featured Friday, September 29th on Blogs By Christian Women where I am a guest blogger for the day! I love that the hosts of the blog aim at bringing women of faith together to encourage one anotherMake yourself a cup of tea + stay awhile to read posts by women pursuing a life that glorifies Jesus. 

* * * 
Lessons of the Blackberry

1.] PERSEVERE THROUGH THE PAIN.
The most plump, delicious blackberries are the ones hidden and protected amidst a thorny collection of brambles. Keep persevering through whatever "brambles" you are currently facing in your life, even if you get poked every once in awhile. The reward is worth the pain.
Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. {Galations 6:9}
2.] WAIT AND BE PATIENT.
There is a season for everything, including ripe, sweet blackberries. Try to pick them too early, however, and you'll get a rather sour surprise. Wait. Be patient. For it is usually after days of uneventful, "boring" weather that the best blackberries ripen. Don't underestimate the days of seemingly uneventful waiting. God is behind the scenes working all things for the good of those who obey Him.
But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up their wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not be faint. {Isaiah 40:31}
3.] BE THANKFUL
As I tried to avoid getting poked and scratched by the thorny vines of the blackberry bramble, I remembered an important thing: I need to be thankful for both the blackberry and the thorns, for they both come from the same plant.   When we have a heart of thanksgiving, even in the hard and painful times [when it seems we are walking through miles of thorny vines], we remember His faithfulness and are encouraged by the hope that comes from our Redeemer.
Oh what a happy soul am I although I cannot see,
I am resolved that in this world contented I shall be.

How many blessings I enjoy that other people don't.

To weep and sigh, because I'm blind? I cannot and I won't.
{Fanny Crosby}
4.] DON'T LOOK AWAY
 A mere glance away from picking blackberries left me with deep pokes because my hand moved a few centimeters -- straight into a thorny vine. Ouch.  Isn't that how life is? When we take our gaze off of Christ, we end up getting hurt. We end up veering off the path and ending up poked and scratched by thorny vines of discouragement, bitterness, self-pity.
With my eyes fixed on the goal I push on to secure the prize of God's heavenward call in Christ Jesus. {Phil. 3:14 WNT}
5. HAVE FAITH
A novice blackberry-picker as myself has learned to bring along a bucket in my car in case I find a jackpot of blackberries somewhere. You also can learn to "bring along a bucket" just in case you get a downpour of blessings that you cannot hold in your two hands!

O LORD, You are my God; I will exalt You and praise Your name, for in perfect faithfulness You have done marvelous things, things planned long ago. {Isaiah 25:1}
* * *
Go a little deeper in these lessons this Friday on Blogs by Christian Women
See you there!

Comments

  1. Very encouraging words, beautiful!

    AmeriAus Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a blackberry lover, I so loved this analogy! Not only does it relate to my days of purpley-red stained fingertips and thorn pricks, but it also is such a great analogy to how much I need Him to heal, guide, and care for me. Looking forward to reading the whole post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh, thanks, Kiki!! Yes, he does heal, guide, and care for us! What a comforting truth to hold on to!!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post! It's amazing how simple things can turn into amazing life lessons.

    -Samantha
    http://substanceandsoul.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts!

Elle Alice