b e t h e l

I was reading Genesis 35 and came across the name Bethel. I had seen the name so many times in the Bible {Gen. 13, 35; Judges 20, 1 Sam. 7} but this time, I stopped.

b e t h e l ,
                h o u s e   of   G o d .

Instead of merely reading the name of an ancient landmark on a map, the Holy Spirit seemed to speak to my heart: 

 is my heart a "bethel"? 
     is my mind a "bethel"?
         is my body a "bethel"?
             is my soul a "bethel"?

My heart was stirred, for I knew too well what the answers were.

Many times I cannot call my heart, mind, or body a house of the Living God. Instead, it is often a house of my will; a residence filled to the brim with my plans; a home with nearly every room occupied with my own needs, worries, and doubts.

Help me, Jesus, to have a bethel in every part of my being. 

And, being the faithful God that He is, this is what He helped me write tonight. The two Bible verses below the poem came to mind while writing {oh, how sweet the Holy Spirit is in reminding us of the most perfect Scripture passages at the perfect time!} May it be my constant prayer, and I hope, yours too.

bethel
"house of God"

May this mind be a Bethel to You,
Every thought held captive that is not honorable or true
For what we think, we eventually do.
Purify these thoughts; make clean; renew.

May my heart be Your dwelling place;
Help me earnestly seek Your face.
My own plans and desires erase,
That of my own will there be not a trace

May my body be a Temple for Your Spirit today,
A living gift at the foot of the cross I lay.
Strengthen me to honor You in every way,
With every deed that's done; with every word I say.

May my soul be a home that invites You in,
That there may not be a hidden place left with sin,
For by Your redeeming blood, I can say that I win
Every day, in Your grace I start again


* * *

"Love the Lord with all your heart, with all your soul
all your strength, and all your mind."
{Luke 10:27}

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, who you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies."
{1 Corinthians 16:19-20}



picture credit: http://theologigal.files.wordpress.com

Comments

  1. What an awesome reminder from the Holy Spirit. I love when verses becomes alive, fresh and new! I will always remember this now when I read the word Bethel in scripture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts!

Elle Alice