2026 Reading Goals

Woman Reading (1885) by Frederick Childe Hassam

Last year, unlike previous years, I didn't sent any goals for the total number of books I wanted to read. Rather, I focused on the actual types of book categories I wanted to read. I also wanted to read mainly books I already own that have been waiting patiently on my bookshelf to be read. I am repeating this style of goal-setting for my reading life this year in 2026. I am sure I will read other books that are not on this list (for book club or just for fun), but these are the ones I want to be intentional about reading. 

FORMATION 
These are books that challenge me, help me grow in my Christian walk, teach me new things about life in general, and ultimately point me closer to Christ. There's a few books I have read before that I want to re-read.
  1. Attributes of God:A Journey Into the Father's Heart by A.W. Tozer
  2. The Life of Prayer by Edith Schaeffer
  3. Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in Our Busy Lives by Wayne Muller
  4. Fearfully and Wonderfully Made by Dr. Paul Brand and Philip Yancey
  5. Mother Culture by Karen Andreola
  6. Show Me the Way: Daily Lenten Readings by Henri J.M. Nouwen
  7. Dearly Beloved: Words of Hope and Comfort for These Troubled Times by David Wilkerson (RE-READ)
  8. Discipline: The Glad Surrender by Elisabeth Elliot (RE-READ)
  9. Disciplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes (RE-READ)
PARENTING
I am always reading some kind of parenting book, whether it is on a specific topic like discipline or homeschooling, or a general encouragement in the daily grind of motherhood. 
  1. Gospel-Centered Motherhood by Daily Grace Co. (READ IN JANUARY))
  2. The Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian (CURRENTLY READING)
  3. Home Education by Charlotte Mason (RE-READ)
  4. Missional Motherhood: The Everyday Ministry of Motherhood in the Grand Plan of God by Gloria Furman
  5. The 5 Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman (RE-READ)
  6. Foundations: 12 Biblical Truths to Shape a Family by Troy and Ruth Chou Simons
  7. Different: The Story of an Out-the-Box Kid and the Mom Who Loved Him by Sally and Nathan Clarkson  (CURRENTLY READING)
  8. Finding God at the Kitchen Sink: Search for Glory in the Everyday Grime by Maggie Paulus (I don't know anything about this one, but was gift it and will give it a try)
  9. Real Moms... Real Jesus: Meet the Friend Who Understands by Jill Savage (received as a gift and don't know anything about the one, but will give it a try)
  10. Strong Mothers, Strong Sons: Lessons Mothers Need to Raise Extraordinary Men by Meg Meeker (same as above; gifted to me)
CLASSICS
I finished my goal of reading 75 classics in 5 years last month (see my list HERE), so now I'm just continuing to work through different classics I have heard of, but haven't gotten around to reading yet.
  1. Kristin Lavransdatter by Singrid Undset (CURRENTLY READING)
  2. The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien (or at least The Fellowship of the Ring)
  3. Pilgrim's Inn by Elizabeth Goudge
MEMOIRS
I love reading about people's lives and the events that shaped who they are. I am sure more books will make it on this list this year, but this is the main one. 
  1. Being Elisabeth Elliot: Elisabeth's Later Years by Ellen Vaughn (JUST FINISHED)
  2. All the Beauty in the World: The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Me by Patrick Bringley (in my Art Book Reading challenge below as well)
ART BOOK READING CHALLENGE 
I recently found out about an art-related reading challenge created by Rebecca from A Humble Place. Here are the categories, though I don't think I will try to read a book for each one. It is just a fun way for me to learn more about artists, which is something I have slowly been doing the past few years.
  1. A book about an artist from the 20th century
    • Just Jerry: How Drawing Shaped My Life by Jerry Pinkney 
  2. A book about an artist known for their portraits
  3. An art fiction book
  4. A general book about art
    • The Journey that Saved Curious George: The True Wartime Escape of Margaret and H.A. Rey by Louise Borden
    • Van Gogh Has A Broken Heart: What Art Teaches Us About the Wonder and Struggle of Being Alive by Russ Ramsey
    • Art of Lent: A Painting a Day from Ash Wednesday by Sister Wendy Beckett
    • All the Beauty in the World: The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Me by Patrick Bringley
  5. A book about an artist from the 17th century
  6. A book about a female artist
    • Until Day Breaks: The Life and Work of Lilias Trotter by Patricia St. John
_____________________________________________

What are some of the books YOU are excited to read this year? Do you try to hit a certain number, or do. you have other parameters for your reading goals?

Comments