Books & Movies to Read & See Before Our France & Italy Trip




Last week, I shared some of my favorite books set in France and Italy. Today, as I continue to plan our October trip to France and Italy, I'd like to share a few books and movies I want to watch before our European adventure. Have you seen or read any of these?  If there are any books or movies you'd recommend, feel free to share in the comments :)

BOOKS



Hunting and Gathering by Anna Gavalda: Four unlikely people are connected in Paris 

The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure: An architect faces the horrors of the Holocaust when he starts building hiding places for Jews.

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway: An ode to the young, poor artist in Paris

Suite Française by Irene Nemirovsky: A story of Parisians during Nazi Occupation written by a Parisian Jew who was deported to Auschwitz before she could finish the final draft. 

My Father's Glory & My Mother's Castle by Marcel Pagnol:  A popular French filmmaker's childhood memories living in a Provencal village

Four Seasons in Rome by Anthony Doerr: Author of the critically acclaimed (and one of my favorite novels) All the Light We Cannot See shares what living in Rome for a year was like.

Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes: A poet/cook/writer buys and restores an abounded villa in Tuscany

La Bella Figura by Beppe Severgnini: A tour through Italy that is said to be an entertaining journey into the hearts and minds of Italians.

A Room With A View by E.M. Forster: An English lady finds romance during a trip to Florence

__________________________________

MOVIES


Saving Private Ryan: Captain Miller takes his men to find Private Ryan, whose three brothers have been killed in combat. We'll be going to see the D-Day Beaches in Normandy so this will be a great history lesson in preparation.

A Room With A View: Plot in the books section above. I've heard great things so if I like the book, I will want to see the movie

Midnight in Paris: This quirky Woody Allen flick is my favorite movie to get me hyped up for Paris! 

A Monster in Paris: An adorable cartoon about a singing flea that was blown up to master-size. Not well known but entertaining, with great music and beautiful Paris scenery.

Julie & Julia: I watched it years ago so it would be fun to watch again now that I read Julia Childs' My Life in France

Roman Holiday: You cannot go wrong with Audrey Hepburn as a princess escaping her royal duties for a day to explore Rome with a complete stranger. Haven't seen this in years!

Enchanted April: Read this last month so I am looking forward to the movie version.

An American in Paris: An American soldier stays in Paris after the war and becomes a painter, wooing a few ladies along the way.

Under The Tuscan Sun: Not sure if I will watch the movie and  read the book, but leaning more towards the movie.


Comments