books of 2014

One year ago, I worked on goals for this year. One of the goals was centered on reading. An avid reader in my younger years, I had become so busy in recent years that I hardly ever read for pleasure. So I wanted to challenge myself for 2014: Ten books in twelve months. I figured it was roughly one book a month (with some grace period in case I got behind). But, as I dove into a series of books, I soon reached my goal halfway into the year! I changed my reading challenge from ten to eighteen books, I met my goal! 20 books in 12 months! This may not seem a lot to some, but for me, it is a great reminder that I can make time for something that gives me great delight. It meant decreasing distractions like Pinterest and television, but in exchange, I gained so much more! I learned world history through novels, studied theology, and "met" a few people who did not allow their handicaps to keep them from pursuing their purpose.

Here are the twenty books of 2014. I recommend each of them!
(And check out my goodreads account for other favorites!)

biographies
Ghost Boy by Martin Pistorius (my review)
Hudson Taylor by James Hudson Taylor
Fanny Crosby: The Hymn Writer by Bernard Ruffin
Open Your Eyes: 10 Uncommon Lessons to Discover a Happier Life
by Jake Olson & McKay Christensen (my review)

novels
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
The Golden Key by George MacDonald
Leota's Garden by Francine Rivers
Bianca's Vineyard by Teresa Neumann
Domenico's Table by Teresa Neumann

theology
A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by W. Phillip Keller
The Explicit Gospel by Matt Chandler (my review)
Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way by Shauna Niequist (my review)
Cold Tangerines: Celebrating the Extraordinary Nature of Everyday Life by Shauna Niequist
Hope Rising: How Christians Can End Extreme Poverty in This Generation by Scott Todd
Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist by John Piper (my review)
Meet Me in the Meadow: Finding God in the Wildflowers by Deborah Hedstrom-Page
Loveology: God. Love. Marriage. Sex. And the Never-Ending Story of Male and Female by John Mark Comer
Whispers of Hope: 10 Weeks of Devotional Prayer by Beth Moore (my review)

currently reading
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
Jesus Among Other Gods by Ravi Zacharias

What books did you read in 2014? Any that you'd recommend? 

 Carl Vilhelm Holsøe "Girl in an Interior" 19th Century


Comments

  1. hello, What a great list of books! are you thinking of doing it again 2015? also have you read any good books on worship? Let me know, continue reading happy!

    Janice R.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts!

Elle Alice