goal setting // vision

Where there is no vision, the people perish. 
Proverbs 29:18

You are not here merely to make a living. You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand.
Woodrow Wilson

Where there is no vision, there is no hope.
George Washington Carver


What is your vision for 2014? What are you prayerfully planning and hoping for this year?
What are you expectantly awaiting God to unfold this year? The third step of Lara Casey's Goal-Setting series is all about vision. It's about prayerfully considering what overarching phrase or idea you would like to wave as a banner over 2014.

A few questions that Lara posed to encourage brainstorming are listed. I want to share some of my responses, in light of the big idea I mentioned yesterday: That I want to plan with open hands that are welcoming God to move things around as He knows is best. Yes, I want to envision an adventurous and unforgettable new year and I will plan for it, but I am also trusting that His plans are far better than my own, so if He wants to tweak a few areas, He is very welcome.

>> What kind of life do I want  live this year? <<
Some key words I think of include intentional, self-giving, surrendered & delighting in God.

>> If I could envision my best year, what would it look like? <<
- living a healthy lifestyle through nutrition, physical activity, and sleep
- Diving deeper in the Bible & memorizing more verses
- Delighting in my singleness and using the time for adventures but also for serving others

>> What am I saying NO to in 2014? <<
- Jealousy of others' circumstances or seasons of life
- Fear and anxiety 
- Wasting time on too much social media and television
- Self-pity 
- Reliance on myself instead of trusting God (first) and trustworthy people (second)

>> What am I saying YES to in 2014? <<
- Simplifying 
- New adventures 
- Quality time with family and friends
- Being consistently healthy
- Progress, not perfection
- Honesty with my weaknesses & needing help
- Boldness and speaking up
- Giving more and serving more

>> What is my vision? <<
I could list a slew of "visions" relating to work, personal life, church, relationships, etc. But the all-inclusive vision would be to reflect Jesus' love, bring Him glory through joyful thanksgiving, delight in His presence and all that He has placed in my life, making the most of all the opportunities in my life, and never giving up or losing hope that the best is yet to come.
{source


[[ p.s. if you're new, check out the goal-setting journey! ]]
 ---> one
---> two
---> three

Comments

  1. I am inspired by this post and it is obvious that you thought your goals out. Thank you for sharing
    Sueannie
    Now following you !

    www.patienceacceptancecourage.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sueannie!! I am still praying through specific goals because I don't want to rush into making goals that I will give up halfway through the year. So it's a slow, introspective journey that I am learning so much from! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. "What am I saying 'no' to this year?" WOW. That's a great question to ask ourselves. Reminds me of a chapter from Shauna Niequist's book "Bittersweet" where she beautifully discusses how we have to have a list of things we're not doing in a current season in order to say 'yes' to what God has called us to really do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to look into getting that book! I've seen the title float around on other blogger's posts as well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts!

Elle Alice