a tale of a friend, a camera, and two parks

Today was my day off and I met with a friend (Jenn from Spotted:Stills)  who is a photographer, wedding event planner, and blogger. I asked her to meet in the trendy Pearl District in downtown Portland to give me some photography pointers and so we can shoot together for a little while!

I have a Nikon J1, which is a hybrid between a point-and-shoot and a DLSR.  I used it for my NYC trip, and got some great photos, but am eager to learn more about the camera. I am also hoping to learn more about the art of photography, like posing, angling, and using natural light. The main reason is because I want to take great photos during my Europe trip in a few weeks, but I also want to grow in my skills because I photography is such a special art. Each photographer has their own flow and their photos show such personality as they capture beautiful memories that are cherished for years to come. I've always admired the works of other photographers, so I am now hoping to learn a few things myself to capture all the adventures that God has been so faithfully bringing into my life. 


We started off with lunch at Nuvrei, a great patisserie with delicious almond croissants, macarons, sandwiches, and other yummy treats! After catching up over a delicious lunch, we set off and walked a few blocks to Jamison Square, where we had some fun with our cameras!




 

After our fun shoot in the Pearl District, I drove over to Laurelhurst Park, 
which happens to be my favorite park in Portland. I first stopped at these two beautiful homes, which is a tradition every time I visit this lovely neighborhood 






And here, my friends, is Laurelhurst Park. I only walked through a small corner of the park, but I was able to practice some of the tips from Jenn.










I had lots of fun with my camera today. I am definitely not a photographer, but I am excited to learn some new skills to improve the quality of my photos during my trip to Europe in less than two weeks (gasp!)

p.s. for the photographers out there, what are some of your tips on getting that perfect photo? 

Comments

  1. This is awesome!! LOVE the photos of the houses! They turned out so great!!! Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your tips, Jenn! It was awesome shooting with you!

      Delete
  2. These are great photos! I love the summery feel of it all and those houses are so beautiful! :)

    While I wouldn't call myself a photographer (I much prefer photo-taker!), I think that you can never go wrong with practice and not being afraid to try new things. The great part about digital cameras is that you can take as many photos as you want and you can instantly see what your photo looks like (as opposed to 35mm film where you have no idea what the photo looks like and you only have so many photos per roll). Happy photo-taking, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kiki! You are so right! And the other nice thing about digital cameras is that we can edit the photos too! What a lifesaver! I am excited to practice now that I am learning a bit more about my camera. Before, it was always overwhelming, but now its a challenge to try to get that right shot!

      Delete
  3. What gorgeous pictures! Isn't exploring Portland so wonderful??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is SO fun! I have lived here for most of my life, yet there are still so many parks and historical sites that I have yet to visit!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts!

Elle Alice