Cultivating a Love for Reading

Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

“Next to Scripture and the influence of my parents, great books have formed my worldview, developed my moral imagination and shaped my idea of virtue.”
(Sarah Clarkson, author of Book Girl: A Journey Through the Treasures and Transforming Power of a Reading Life)

Reading is a joy for me. Depending on my mood and what I am reading, a book can bring a much-needed break for a few minutes on busy day (fiction does this well), encouragement when I am struggling, information and transformation in an area of my life (such as my walk with the Lord, health, or mothering). Cultivating time and energy to read isn't always easy amidst the many distractions around us, so I wanted to share a few ways I have been creating space for reading books in this busy season as a mom with two young kids. Hopefully these tips are applicable no matter what season of life you find yourself in.


Consider having a reading notebook. 
This can help you process ideas, remember favorite quotes, or it also can help you keep track of things you want to share with others if you want to talk about the book. I sometimes bring mine along to date nights to discuss what I have been reading since it is hard to remember on the spot. 

Find a time(s) of day that you can sneak in some reading. 
 I set aside the first 15 minutes of my kids' rest time to be for my own reading. Is there a pocket of time in the day you can reserve for cracking open a good book? Treat yourself with tea or coffee and/or a dessert, put some delightful music in the background, if preferred, and create a tiny corner of rest in your busy day to enjoy a good story and/or grow in your walk with the Lord through solid teaching. I also like getting to bed early so I can have some reading time before I get too tired. Thankfully, my husband enjoys reading as well, so he often does the same thing since we are too tired by that point to have deep conversations.  If your  kids can play safely in the backyard or at a playground without you constantly near them, you can also bring a book along and read on a bench nearby. Novels that you can easily stop and re-start work well for this since you inevitably will be interrupted by a "Mom, watch this!"  I also trade weekends with my husband where we each steal away to a nearby coffee shop to have solo time for a few hours to read, journal, etc. This has been a huge blessing for both of us. Limiting social media and/or TV on certain days can also increase space in the day for reading if you are looking for more time to open a book. I try to only be on social media on Mondays, so every other day of the week, if there is spare time when I would normally have picked up my phone in the past, I try to grab a book or something else that is life-giving. It may help to schedule it in you planner or keep track of it in a habit tracker until it becomes more of a habit, if that sounds like it could help. 

Have books in easy reach
In the awesome book, Atomic Habits, James Clear discusses that making a new, desirable habit easy to access or start will really help you get rolling with starting that habit and maintaining it. So, strategically place the books you want to read in areas of your house where you are more likely to pick them up than a different distraction. I will sometimes place a small novel in my backpack or purse to read at the park while the kids play or while waiting in the waiting room for an appointment. I have a few books in my nightstand and a few in our reading room where I like to read, journal, do my Bible study, and plan. When I was nursing my kids, I would have a book and a dim nightlight in their room on a table near my nursing chair. Basically, make it as easy as possible (without creating clutter, of course) to pick up a book.

Find someone to discuss what you’re reading. 
Join a book club or chat with your loved ones about the great ideas or stories you’re reading. As mentioned above, my husband and I enjoy discussing what we're reading during date nights when we can dive into deeper conversation. Find a friend you can gush about a book with (they don’t necessarily have to be reading the same book, but it makes for awesome conversation if you do!). One of my favorite things to ask friends, new and old, is “have you read anything interesting lately?” Great conversation and book recommendations typically follow!

“There is nothing like companionship in the reading journey, people with whom to share the delight or puzzlement or challenge of new bookish horizons.”  (Sarah Clarkson, author of Book Girl: A Journey Through the Treasures and Transforming Power of a Reading Life)

Don't be afraid to break up with a book!
Don’t waste your precious time on a mediocre book: if you aren’t loving it, stop it and start another. 
Life’s too short for a book you’re not loving! 

A personal book list or reading goal may be helpful
It may be helpful to have a list of books you’d like to read, to help you when you aren’t sure what to read next. Maybe a few books from the lists above, or ask friends for book recommendations, or search on Goodreads (a website/app for tracking, sharing, and finding books).  I like having a list for the year to guide me, but am not pressured to read every single book; I just rollover the books to the following year or remove the books that no longer appeal to me. I organize my yearly reading list by classics, theology books, parenting books, and books that will help me grow in certain areas. Having a list helps me to always have a book waiting patiently for me as well as keeps my reading intentional (instead of being swept away by new books that everyone's talking about). If the idea of tracking or planning you reading takes any joy away from picking up a book, though, a more spontaneous approach is probably better for you. If interested, HERE are some blog posts with favorite books of mine, categorized by the years they were read, to give you a few ideas!

Reading diverse books
Reading more than one genre of book at a time may help balance a heavier read (such as a theology book) with something more lighthearted and fun (such as fiction). For example, if I am reading a parenting book or theological book in the evening, I will have an easy fiction book on audiobook during the day.

Try out audiobooks and/or ebooks
Most public libraries have audiobook apps like Libby/Overdrive and Hoopla that have thousands of great titles at no cost.  I like to listen to a good story while doing housework. It makes scrubbing toilets and folding laundry a lot more doable. I also listen during working out, cooking easy meals that don't require reading a recipe, and washing dishes while the kids play nearby. I usually listen with one earbud on in case they need me. I don’t listen to anything too deep that I would need to stop and think about or write notes; just fiction and memoirs that suck me into a great story.


________________________________________________

How do YOU cultivate reading in your own life? I would love to hear in the comments below! 

I will be sharing how I cultivate a love for reading in my kids' lives soon, so stay tuned.

Comments