November and December Book Reviews

 

source

Artful Parent: Simple Ways to Fill Your Family's Life with Art and Creativity by Jean Van't Hul 
I checked out this gem from the public library and halfway in, decided I needed my own copy because I knew I'd refer to it often. This book is a treasure trove for a parent who wants to include more art in their home with young kids. From info about storing art, choosing materials, the benefits of process art, and other awesome topics, to the massive list of projects, I loved how much info was presented in a well-organized way. Most of the art projects seem pretty low-maintenance and easy to set-up, which is important to me. I enjoyed her book The Artful Year, but this one was definitely my favorite because of all the practical tips and tricks she shared. We do a ton of art already in our home, but I still left with a ton more ideas that will keep us inspired for years to come!

Content rating: G

Lessons I Learned in the Dark: Steps to Walking by Faith, Not by Sight by Jennifer Rothschild 
As I was reading through the gospels the last two months, I kept noticing stories of both physical blindness and spiritual blindness (the spiritual leaders who refused to see Jesus for who he really was) as well as themes of light and darkness. I love metaphors that help me better understand deep truths, so I picked up this book that has long beed on my to-read list. Jeniffer has been blind since adolescence and her faith in God has grown through the everyday challenges that blindness present. She shares different things she has learned and sprinkles some humor in there along the way. Aside from being an author and speaker, she is also a gifted piano player, singer, and songwriter, so the book includes lyrics to different songs she has written that correspond with each chapter. I was challenged and inspired by her words and the true life example of someone who may be physically blind but who can truly see, in the spiritual, eternal sense. 

Content rating: G

The Characters of Christmas: The Unlikely People Caught Up in the Story of Jesus by Daniel Darling 
This was my fifth year reading this book and I still love it! Each chapter of this thought-provoking book focuses on a different person surrounding the story of Jesus' birth, from the obvious (Joseph, Mary, Elizabeth and Zechariah, the Wise Men, the angels, the shepherds) to the more obscure (Simeon and Anna) and even "the monster of Christmas", King Herod. Great insight that brought these pivotal characters of Christmas alive to me in fresh ways. Discussion questions at the end of each chapter dig deeper and help to extrapolate even more practical application. This is a great book to read during Advent, especially if you want a fresh understanding on the people who witnessed, either in awe or in fury, the birth of Christ. 

Content rating: G


O Come, All Ye Faithful: Hymns of Adoration and Joy to Celebrate His Birth by Joni Eareckson Tada, John MacArthur, and Bobbi and Robert Wolgemuth 
A great way to usher in the Advent season, this was a great book to read in November to prepare my mind and heart for all the carols coming my way in December. I learned about the history of different carols as well as some of the theology behind the twelve chosen carols. Some were well-known (O Come, O Come Emmanuel; What Child is This?; Angels We Have Heard on High, etc) while others were lesser known, which I loved (Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent; Lo How A Rose E're Blooming, Angels From the Realm of Glory, Once in Royal David's City). There was a CD that accompanied the book that had all the songs, though I preferred finding versions I enjoyed more and adding them to my Christmas and Advent playlists. 

Content rating: G

The Birds' Christmas Carol by Kate Douglas Wiggin 
An incredibly sweet short story about a girl born on Christmas Day named Carol who is an invalid and wants her 11th birthday to be all about the poor nine siblings next door. It's humorous  (the things the siblings say) as well as heartwarming (there aren't too many kids who would do what Carol did). I will definitely read this one to my kids one day, but definitely enjoyed it as an adult too. 

Content rating: G



Shadow & Light: A Journey Into Advent by Tsh Oxenreider 
Each of the day had a short devotional, Bible readings (mostly from Psalms and from Matthew and Luke), a corresponding question to think about along with artwork to look at and music to listen to for each day, this was great for the mornings in December. I enjoyed reading the history of Advent and learning more about Christmastide (the twelve days of Christmas, starting with Christmas Day and ending on Epiphany, or January 6th). I read the Lent study this year (Bitter & Sweet) and really enjoyed that one too. 

Content rating: G



Come, Let Us Adore Him: A Daily Advent Devotional by Paul David Tripp 
It's my fourth Advent reading this devotional and I still love it! This devotional was a perfect way to savor the Advent season. The thought-provoking daily devotions were deep and sometimes even challenging (in the sense that it revealed things in me I felt I needed to pray through). I absolutely loved that Tripp included a short section at the end of each daily reading that was for parents and children. It had a simplified explanation of the devotion and a great way of explaining it and discussing it with children through metaphors. I look forward to using that portion with my kids because there were really great ways Tripp explained themes such as what it means that Jesus is the Way, how God's peace is different that the world's peace, the promises God has given us in His Word, Songs we sing at Christmas, self-righteousness, and hope (among many others). I definitely recommend it for anyone who wants a daily devotional for the  Christmas season. The devotions are each four to five pages, so it is not very time-consuming, but is succinct, very well-written, and pointed me towards Jesus every day in December.

Content rating: G

Unwrapping the Names of Jesus: An Advent Devotional by Asheritah Ciuciu 
This is my third time reading through this and I still love it. What better way to celebrate Advent than to focus on the names of the Jesus. This five-week devotional is a great resource to deepen your knowledge and press you towards worshipping Jesus as you grow in understanding of what certain names signify, including Son of Man, Lamb of God, Light of the World, and the Vine. There were great questions for each daily devotional as well as a prayer. Every Saturday had activities to do rather than a devotional, which I liked because it gave me good ideas to celebrate the coming of Christmas in new ways that pointed me to Jesus and served others around me. I loved reading the devotions in the morning and thinking about them through the day.

Content rating: G

___________________________

If you want to see other books I am reading/have read, click on the Book Reviews link at the bottom of this link and/or visit my goodreads page. Coming up in the next week is a post with my favorite 2023 books.

Comments