nothing in the house

Thy servant, Lord, hath nothing in the house,
Not even one small pot of common oil; 
For he who never cometh but to spoil 
Hath raided my poor house again, again,
That ruthless strong man armed, whom men call Pain.

I thought that I had courage in the house,
And patience to be quiet and endure,
And sometimes happy songs; now I am sure
Thy servant truly hath not anything,
And see, my song-bird hath a broken wing.
. . . .
My servant, I have come into the house---
I who know Pain's extremity so well
That there can never be the need to tell
His power to make the flesh and spirit quail:
Have I not felt the scourge, the thorn, the nail?

And I, his Conqueror, am in the house,
Let not your heart be troubled: do not fear:
Why shouldst thou, child of Mine, if I am here?
My touch will heal thy song-bird's broken wing,
And he shall have a braver song to sing ♥

{this beautiful poem is by Amy Carmichael, and is based on the story of the
destitute widow of Zerephath in 1 Kings 17:15-16}.



How beautiful that we have a God who we can put all our trust in! Jesus felt the "scourge, the thorn, the nail" for us. He felt unthinkable pain for us. And He defeated Death for us


May we all have a "braver song to sing" as we dwell on God's unfailing love, faithfulness, and undeniable power above that thief "that men call Pain". 


  19 I remember my affliction and my wandering,    the bitterness and the gall. 20 I well remember them,    and my soul is downcast within me. 21 Yet this I call to mind    and therefore I have hope: 22 Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed,    for his compassions never fail23 They are new every morning;    great is your faithfulness24 I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion;    therefore I will wait for him.” 25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,    to the one who seeks him; 26 it is good to wait quietly    for the salvation of the LORD. { Lamentations 3 }

Comments

  1. Beautiful~
    I love Amy Carmichael--so inspiring...and those last verses...Lamentations 3:21-26....my life verses...His precious promises...thank you, Abba!

    May He draw you ever closer; thank you for sharing with us, Elena!
    In Him,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful post!! I love amy's poems, and I hadn't heard of this one yet, and it's so beautiful!

    -Carli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts!

Elle Alice