Song of a Bird in a Winter Storm

"NATURE IS GOD'S GREATEST EVANGELIST" - [J.E.]

"NONE OF THEM THAT TRUST IN HIM SHALL BE DESOLATE" - [Psalm 34:22]

The sun is shining bright outside, so I should not be thinking about winter storms, but this poem is so beautiful, I had to post it. Even amidst the beauty of the much-awaited rays of sunshine, many are in a personal winter storm of the spirit. Discouraged. Feeling lost and beaten by the merciless winds. But thankfully, the same Loving Creater who provides the sunshine and birds to sing joyful songs is also the Creator who takes care of us when the song is gone and the tears flow. May this bring encouragement of God's faithfullness in those times when we feel like a bird cought in an angry winter storm.

Song of a Bird in a Winter Storm
[ Based on Habakkuk 3:17-19]

Though the rain may fall and the wind be blowing,
   And cold and chill is in the wintry blast,
Though the cloudy sky is still cloudier growing,
   And the dead leaves tell the summer has passed,
My face I hold to the stormy heaven,
   My heart is as calm as the summer sea,
Glad to recieve what my God has given,
   What e'er it be.

When I feel the cold I can say, "He sends it,"
   And His wind blows blessing I surely know,
For I've never a want but that He attends it,
   And my heart beats warm, though the winds may blow
The soft sweet summer was warm and glowing;
   Bright were the blossoms on every bough;
I trusted Him when the roses were blowing,
   I trust Him now.

Small were my faith should it weakly falter,
   Now that the roses have ceased to blow;
Frail were the trust that now should alter,
   Doubting His love when when storm clouds grow.
If I trust Him once, I mist trust Him ever,
   And His way is best, though I stand or fall;
Through wind and storm He leave me never,
   He sends it all.


Why should my heart be faint and fearing?
   Mighty He rules above the storm,
Even the wintry blast is cheering,
   Showing His power to keep me warm.
Never a care on my heart is pressing,
   Never a fear can disturb my breast,
Everything that He sends is a blessing,
   For He knows best.
[- R.N.T.]

And here is Habakkuk 3:17-19, quite possibly my favorite verses in the Bible. They have lifted me up during some hard days these last four years:

17Though the fig tree should not blossom,
   nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
   and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
   and there be no herd in the stalls,
18 yet I will rejoice in the LORD;
    I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
19GOD, the Lord, is my strength;
    He makes my feet like the deer’s;
   He makes me tread on my high places.

Comments

  1. Thanks for this post Elle, it is indeed a beautiful song and some great verses from Habakkuk. :)
    If you haven't hear of it, have a listen to Garage Hymnals latest album "Bird in a Winter Storm" - the title track is a new version of this song.
    God bless,

    Roland

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts!

Elle Alice