praising through pain // how deep the father's love for us


How Deep The Father's Love For Us
{ Stuart Townend, 1995}

I have loved this song for many years and was very surprised to read tonight that this beautiful hymn is not even twenty years old! I assumed it was an age-old hymn but was pleasantly surprised by its modern roots. It has been a song that has brought me hope and reassurance of God's love as a perfect, unfailing Father. What a difference it makes to really see God as a Perfect Dad. Even if you've had an amazing earthly father (I was blessed to have a GREAT dad!), he will still fail you at times because he is still human and a sinner. But God does not leave or forget you. His love holds no end, nor does He leave us to figure out life on our own. He desires us to surrender our hopes and desires to Him and trust that He knows what He is doing, especially in times that things do not work how we think they ought to. 

But the greatest testament of the Father's love is that He gave His Son Jesus to pay the payment for our sin. Jesus bore the guilt and shame that you and I rightfully deserve. My own mocking voice has called out among the scoffers. And because of Him, a wretch has become His treasure. What beauty in those lyrics because they tell the story of the gospel. 

Read the story behind this beautiful song from the words of the man who was inspired to write it, Stuart Townsend:

" . . . I'd been meditating on the cross, and in particular what it cost the Father to give up His beloved Son to a torturous death on a cross. And what was my part in it? Not only was it my sin that put Him there, but if I'd lived at that time, it would probably have been me in that crowd, shouting with everyone else 'crucify Him'. It just makes His sacrifice all the more personal . . . all the more humbling.

As I was thinking through this, I just began to sing the melody, and it flowed in the sort of way that makes you think you've pinched it from somewhere! So the melody was pretty instant, but the words took quite a bit of time, reworking things, trying to make every line as strong as I could . . . "
* * *
How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that left Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

----------------------------
Source: Then Sings My Soul, Book 3 (Robert J Morgan)

Comments

  1. Wow! I had no idea that this hymn was fairly new as well! So interesting!

    Have I mentioned that I love this series? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I always assumed it was so old since it is so well known and filled with so much beauty and truth! And thank you, I am loving it too! It is really encouraging to research the stories behind songs I have sung for years! Makes them so much more special!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts!

Elle Alice