praising through pain // amazing grace


Amazing Grace
John Newton

Is there a more well-known hymn that this? It has stirred the hearts of different generations, cultures, and social statuses. It was linked to historical events such as Martin Luther King Jr's famous "I have a dream" speech, Nelson Mandela's prison release, the fall of the Berlin Wall, and to comfort Americans after the attack on 9/11. It is a song of hope in the grace that saves.

"My memory is nearly gone, but I remember two things:
That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior."
[John Newton at his deathbed]

Grab a cup of tea and enjoy this thirteen minute video on the history behind Amazing Grace [which was so graciously sent to me by one of my favorite bloggers, Natalie]. It is a beautiful portrayal of the life of John Newton and the trials and suffering that eventually birthed this hymn that still carries so much power today.

[1]

_________________________________________________________

[2]

Comments

  1. I so love the story behind this hymn, because it's a testament that God can take even the soul so deep in the darkness and pull them into the light. I have a biography on Newton that I got in a giveaway, and someday after I get around to reading it, I'll have to pass it along to you =) Have you seen the movie "Amazing Grace?" Love that quote you shared too! I have it written down in my quote/verse collection and think it's so beautiful. Hope you're having a restful weekend friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never replied to you, Nat… Sorry! YES!! What truth in that statement: "God can take even the soul so deep in the darkness and pull them into the light". So good! Oooh, a Newton biography sounds interesting! Yes, I've seen (and loved!) Amazing Grace. I need to buy it or atleast watch it again!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts!

Elle Alice